- Wash your hands.
- Open the bottle and hold it with one hand, tilt your head back and look at the ceiling.
- With the index finger of the other hand, gently pull down your lower eyelid to form a pocket.
- Squeeze 1 drop into the pocket.
- Do not let the bottle tip touch your eye, your fingers or any other surface
- Blot out excess solution, which flows out with a tissue as some drugs can harm the skin around the eye.
- To minimize absorption of the drug into the blood stream and maximize the amount of the drug absorbed in the eye and minimizing possible side effects- close your eye for 1 minute after putting the drops, do not blink, and press with your index finger lightly against the inferior nasal corner of your eyelid to close the tear duct which drains into the nose.
- If you are using more than one eye drop, wait at least 5 minutes before putting the second drop.
- If you are not sure if the eyedrop entered the eye or not, instill another one. It is important to be sure that the eyedrop gets in contact with the surface of the eye.